For this assignment, you are going to interview a professional via phone or video. I am encouraging you to find a stranger, someone, you do not know. Try to have fun with this assignment.Â
What is an informational interview?Â
- A brief meeting with a professional in a career or industry that you are considering.Â
- A chance to get a first-hand experience and get information and advice that is specific to your interests and concerns.Â
- An opportunity for you to gather knowledge about the field, meet professionals and begin to establish a network of contacts.Â
- Find a professional to see the “ Informational Brainstorm” assignment. Once you have determined individuals you would like to interview take the following steps.Â
- At the end of the interview, ask for their business card or contact information so you can send them a Thank You note within 24 hours. This can either be via email or US mail. Make sure you do not text a thank you note.
Yay, you completed the interview!Â
Now you can write your reflection of the experience and what you learned by performing the informational interview.Â
- Name of the person you interviewed
list of questions you asked ( * not the responses)Â
Respond to the following questions in paragraphs:Â
- What is your impression of this field? ( it may help to think about the pros and cons, skills, etc). Â Would you want to do this particular job? Why or why not?
- Discuss what was most surprising about this career provide specific examples. Or Share what did not surprise you.Â
- What were the 2-3 Â positives and negatives of this career? Â How do these factors impact your perspective on this career?
- Review your MBTI and SII results, How does this career align with your personality and interest? Â ( look at your heart of type and overall themes codes )
- What was your biggest â€œtake awayâ€ from your interview? Â Do you foresee using this technique in the future?Â