I’m working on a english discussion question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
DIRECTIONS: Expand FOUR of these statements, making them more informative by replacing the noun phrase with one or more verb phrases. Here is an example.
Teaching can be improved by in-service training.
Teaching can be improved by asking teachers to attend a range of short courses throughout much of their careers.
1.Bacteria found in meat can be killed by radiation.
2. Possible harmful effects of drugs can be reduced by testing.
3. Information on political preferences can be obtained by polling.
4. Cultures are partly preserved by ceremony and ritual.
5. Changes in land use can be detected by remote sensing.
6. The spread of infectious diseases can be controlled by vaccination programs.
DIRECTIONS: Find a single adverb to replace the phrase italics and then place the adverb in mid-position.
1. The provisions of the law must be applied with care
2. Part II of this paper describes the laws of the U.S. that pertain to agricultural biotechnology in only a couple of paragraphs.
3. Myopia, which is referred to as shortsightedness most of the time,is a common cause of visual disability throughout the world.
4. This study revealed that American and Japanese thresholds for sweetness and saltiness did not differ a lot.
5. As a rule, pulsed semiconductor lasers do not use the broad gain bandwidth to full advantage in the generation of subpicosecond pulses.
6. Environmental managers are faced with having to determine the extent of environmental contamination and identifying habitats at risk on a regular basis.
7. The water supply lines must be inspected to prevent blockages now and then.
8. Although many elaborations of this model have been developed over the years, to a considerable extent all of them have followed the traditional specification in presupposing that an individual will choose to make a tax report.