Read the article and answer the questions.
What are the key strategies that states can use to increase return migration?
What are the problems China faced in getting people to return? How did those concerns change over time?
- What Â are the limits on state power to promote reverse migration? (Think Â globally, locally and individually) Is the market or the state more Â important in bringing back entrepreneurs, and why? How do we explain Â Chinaâ€™s relative success in bringing people back?
- How can â€œshortageâ€ drive reverse migration among entrepreneurs and scientists?
- What is â€œTransnational Human Capital?â€ How can we show that it exists?
- How did the events of June 4th create an instant Diaspora and how did Deng Xiaoping and Jiang Zemin deal with this problem?
- What is the â€œDiaspora Option?â€ Why is it so important?
- Why Â did Li Yuanchao involve the CCP in reverse migration? What did the Â Organization Department of the CCP discover about the problems of Â returnees in 2011?
- How do we know that theâ€ scientific environmentâ€ is a major problem in China?
- What do I mean by the â€œfailure hypothesisâ€ and how would one test it? Where can we see it at work in the readings?
- Can Â returnees change China? What are three of the most important reforms in Â universities that can improve the quality of the academics in those Â schools?
- What are the key domestic forces that resist the Â adoption of international norms or rules concerning promotion, grant Â applications and the allocation of research money, etc? (use the example Â of the Beida reform and the meeting I attended with Li Yuanchao.)
- Why Â would a university with a president who had a foreign PhD be willing to Â have more returnees than a university whose president had only been a Â Visiting Scholar abroad?
- Why could one argue that local Â government was the most important level of the state for encouraging Â entrepreneurs to return and what were the key strategies that they Â employed?
- What are the key controversies about â€œpreferential policiesâ€ given to returnees?