I’m working on a cyber security question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
1. Consider the two following hard drives from the Seagate company: Drive 1 is an Exos series x18, designed for usage in datacenters and cloud deployments. Among other specifications, Seagate quotes a mean time between failure (MTBF) of 2.5 million hours of usage. The second drive is a Seagate Barracuda (ST10000DM0004) drive, designed for home usage. Its specifications call for an MTBF of 1 million hours. Is the Exos 2.5 times more reliable than the Barracuda when deployed and utilized in the same fashion? Justify your answer.
2. In a distributed environment, it is common for there to be a very large number of web servers fulfilling client requests. The servers are coordinated by one or more load balancers, which route the client requests to the servers. What characteristics would this setup need to ensure that it is N+1 redundant to hardware failures? Explain your answer.
3. How does a site reliability engineer (SRE) compare to a traditional IT administrator? Would you consider these roles complementary or competing with each other? Explain your answers.
4. Compare and contrast the processes of launching a service and decommissioning a service . What similarities and differences do they have, and what issues can arise from improper planning of these activites?
5. How is the waterfall scheduling method used in traditional software/system development, and what aspects of this approach lead to longer development cycles? Which would you consider the most disadvantageous to speedy development cycles and why?
6. How does DevOps reimagine the traditional development cycle to increase workflow speeds? Which of these changes to the traditional method would you consider the most advantageous in increasing flow and why?
7. Consider the Agile development style and the continuous delivery approach to deployment of software. How well do the two of these approaches mix together to further the goals of a DevOps environment? Are there areas in which they have conflicting approaches, and if so, how would you resolve this?