â€œThere are, then, these three means of effecting persuasion. The man who is to be in command of them must, it is clear, be able (1) to reason logically, (2) to understand human character and goodness in their various forms, and (3) to understand the emotions-that is, to name them and describe them, to know their causes and the way in which they are excited.â€ Commonly, we know these as Logos, Ethos and Pathos.
You may read the Rhetoric article to provide some clarity, but you are not required to read it for the diagnostic. You may simply refer to the quote above.
For the essay, name a time in which you have used at least two arts of persuasion in order to achieve your desired end result. Please be sure to give examples of at least two means, as described above (i.e. Logos and Ethos, Pathos and Logos, etc. You may use all three if you wish, but must use at least two.)
Alternatively, if you have never used arts of persuasion to achieve a desired end, you may write about a time in which another person has persuaded you by using at least two of the above.
You are welcome to write “I” statements in this essay. In the future, we will remain formal and academic (No “I” statements).
Requirements – Please read carefully
- This essay should be organized around a thesis that offers us a clear, specific statement.
- The essay should include at least one direct reference (quotation or paraphrase) to Aristotle’s quote (meaning, be sure to include it in the essay and make reference to it).
- The essay should be at least 500 words long (about 2 pages double-spaced). You can certainly make it longer if you wish.
- Please use 12 pt. font, Times New Roman.
- Please include a title.
- When done, be sure to upload the assignment as a “file upload.” This assignment will not be due until Wednesday at 11:59 pm, therefore, we can review the process of how to upload in class.
- Please be conscious of the deadline. When the link closes, you will not be able to upload the assignment and will lose all points.