This assignment consists of both an interview and a PowerPoint (PPT) presentation.
Select a community of interest in your region. Perform a physical assessment of the community.
- Perform a direct assessment of a community of interest using the “Functional Health Patterns Community Assessment Guide.”
- Interview a community health and public health provider regarding that person’s role and experiences within the community.
Interviews can take place in-person, by phone, or by Skype.
Develop interview questions to gather information about the role of the provider in the community and the health issues faced by the chosen community.
Complete the “Provider Interview Acknowledgement Form” prior to conducting the interview. Submit this document separately in its respective drop box.
Compile key findings from the interview, including the interview questions used, and submit these with the presentation.
Create a PowerPoint presentation of 15-20 slides (slide count does not include title and references slide) describing the chosen community interest.
Include the following in your presentation:
- Description of community and community boundaries: the people and the geographic, geopolitical, financial, educational level; ethnic and phenomenological features of the community, as well as types of social interactions; common goals and interests; and barriers, and challenges, including any identified social determinates of health.
- Summary of community assessment: (a) funding sources and (b) partnerships.
- Summary of interview with community health/public health provider.
- Identification of an issue that is lacking or an opportunity for health promotion.
- A conclusion summarizing your key findings and a discussion of your impressions of the general health of the community.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA format ting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
Topic: Benchmark – Policy Brief
Research public health issues on the “Climate Change” or “Topics and Issues” pages of the American Public Health Association (APHA) website. Investigate a public health issue related to an environmental issue within the U.S. health care delivery system and examine its effect on a specific population.
Write a 750-1,000-word policy brief that summarizes the issue, explains the effect on the population, and proposes a solution to the issue.
Follow this outline when writing the policy brief:
- Describe the policy health issue. Include the following information: (a) what population is affected, (b) at what level does it occur (local, state, or national), and (c) evidence about the issues supported by resources.
- Create a problem statement.
- Provide suggestions for addressing the health issue caused by the current policy. Describe what steps are required to initiate policy change. Include necessary stakeholders (government officials, administrator) and budget or funding considerations, if applicable.
- Discuss the impact on the health care delivery system.
Include three peer-reviewed sources and two other sources to support the policy brief.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.