COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
For this assignment, choose either option 1 or 2. You do not need to do both. You will apply one of these scenarios in the instructions below. Both options will be graded using the same scoring guide.
You are the new HR manager for Java Corp, a domestic cold coffee and tea company. Java Corp is opening a new office in London, England. You are planning on filling one executive level position with a U.S. citizen. In the scenario, the employee filling the role can either be an existing one or a new hire. The term of the initial assignment is two years. Design a compensation package for this position as the new HR manager.
Choose an organization to use for this assignment. If can be where you are currently employed or a company with which you are familiar. It must be an organization that is researchable; as you will need to gather and analyze information to complete the assignment. You may use the same organization you have used in the previous assignments.
If you choose the organization where you are currently employed, please keep in mind that the analyses you make must be based on facts that can be documented rather than your personal opinion as an employee.
Research the compensation and benefits of the chosen organization. The company is opening a new branch office in London, England. You are planning on filling one executive level position with a U.S. citizen. This employee can be a new hire or an existing one. The term of the initial assignment is two years. You are the new HR manager and must design a compensation package for this position.
Create a compensation package for a new expatriate position. Include the following:
Pay or Salary
In this part:
- Describe key factors and decisions to make regarding base pay. Specifically, discuss how base pay would be determined, what factors influence base pay, and in what way. Note: You do not need to indicate exact salary figures for this assignment.
- Analyze pay considerations specific to expatriate positions. Consider foreign service premium, incentive pay, hardship allowance, mobility premium, and the like.
In this part:
- Analyze legally required benefits for an employee. Include social security, Medicare, federal and state unemployment, and workerâ€™s compensation. Also, discuss any legally required benefits that may be different in England compared to United States.
- Analyze standard benefit offerings. Include health insurance, paid time off, employee assistance programs, et cetera. Also, discuss factors that might influence these offerings such as company size, role of the employee, company location, et cetera.
- Analyze the appropriateness of offering additional benefits or resources to employees facing an overseas work assignment that would ease their transition. These types of benefits could include relocation assistance, home leave reimbursement, spousal support for finding work, cultural or language training, among others.
Your assignment should also meet the following requirements:
- Length: 3â€“5 typed, double-spaced pages, plus a reference page.
- Written communication: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly and professional. Your writing should be:
- Concise and logically organized.
- Free of errors in grammar and mechanics.
- Validation and support: Use a minimum of four relevant and credible scholarly or professional resources such as the Wall Street Journal to support your work.
- APA format: Format all citations and references in accordance with current APA guidelines. Refer to the Evidence and APA Campus page for guidance.