Find a recipe, each for a Jam and a Marmalade online in Metric Units. Provide the Recipe (ingredients, method) and URLs
Provide Pictures of each.
Answer the following questions:
- Explain the difference between Jam and Marmalade, and be specific to the recipes you selected.
- Explain why you chose those specific recipes?
- Explain why the shelf life of properly preserved items is so long?
- What type of Jar do you use for canning, and why is this important?
- Where does the pectin in each of your recipes come from and why is pectin necessary for making Jams and marmalades? Why is cooking temperature important?
- When filling your jars, there are sometimes air pockets that form during the pouring process. Why is this problematic? How can you avoid this or eliminate them after pouring?
- Why is it important to leave some space at the top of the jar (and not fill it to the brim)?
- If you were making these recipes for the first time, what kind of problems might you encounter, and how would you troubleshoot these issues? Provide at least 3 issues.
- Provide a list of all the tools/equipment you would need to produce these recipes?
- consider what you would need not just to prepare and cook the jam and marmalade, but also what you would need to transfer them into the jars, and seal them. Also consider if the material of the tools matters and explain why.
- Are there any tools or equipment in this recipe that can be substituted or replaced with other ones that would also work? If yes, provide a list. If not, explain why?
10. Consider your own personal taste and knowledge of flavor combinations:
- How would you elevate each of these recipes? Choose 1 ingredient that you would be able to add that would make this recipe better, and also that would work with the flavor profile of the recipes you chose
- Would you need to adjust the recipe to accommodate the inclusion of this ingredient? If yes, how?
- How can you incorporate each of these recipes into a plated dessert? Describe the complete dessert (different components, sauces, garnishes, colours, type of plate, how you will plate it etc.). Choose 1 dessert for each recipe. Explain.
- Find some pictures online (or draw them if you want) that best represent your idea (at least 1 picture per dessert)