1. In your own words, explain all three of the slavery clauses in the original U.S. Constitution, relative to enslaved persons of African descent who lived or were to live in the U.S.A.:
Article I, section 2, paragraph 1
Article I, section 9, paragraph 1
Article IV, section 2, paragraph 3
2. As the U.S. Constitution was being created/written and debated by delegates from northern (free labor) and southern (slave labor) states, how was any one of these 3 “slavery” clauses a compromise between these state interests?Â
3. Why do you think the U.S. Constitution does not mention the words “slave,” “Blacks,” or “African” in these 3 clauses/regulations related to enslaved persons – how to count them in the population; when to prohibit importing them; and what if they escaped to free-labor states?
4. What is one more example of legal regulation of slavery; and what is your new understanding of enslavement in the U.S., as a LEGAL system?
5. After engaging all of the related resources, what specific wonderments/unanswered questions remain in your mind?Â
For this first assignment you are to create a 7-12 slide PowerPoint Â Â presentation where you will explain the U.S. court and legal system and the how it impacts corporations today. Â The following must be included in the presentation:
- The federal and state systems must be explained in the presentation.
- The civil and criminal systems should also be included.
- Include a brief example of a case involving a corporation or executives of a corporation who have been involved in the criminal or civil court system.Â
The goal of the presentation is to educate the viewer on the basics of the legal system of the United States.
This video should give you more insight into the topic Structure of the Court System: Crash Course Government and Politics #19 – YouTube