Saying Goodbye: Reflections on Termination
Due: May 3
Termination is one of the most important parts of treatment for both the client and the human services intern. Oftentimes students do not realize the powerful and positive impact they have had in the lives of the clients they have worked with at their internships. Even if you donâ€™t feel that you have made a connection to a particular client, the fact that you were a familiar face to them who may no longer be in their lives can bring up powerful emotions. Likewise, termination can bring up an array of feelings for the human services intern including feelings of loss, pride in oneâ€™s accomplishments, relief, or reminders of prior separations, among others. For this reason, it is important to reflect on your feelings and thoughts and to make every effort to have a healthy and positive termination with clients and co-workers at your field placement.
Write a 3-4- page paper discussing the following:
Reflect on your own personal feelings about termination.
1) Begin by summarizing what you have learned about termination from the assigned reading in the text (â€œSaying Goodbyeâ€ by Danowski)
2) How and when did you address termination with your clients? What was their response?
3) How do you feel about termination in relation to your clients? What do you think your clientâ€™s responses are about you leaving?
4) What are your thoughts and feelings about termination with your supervisor? What have you learned from them?
5) What do you think is the most important contribution you have made to your field placement? You can discuss contributions you have made in terms of how you have impacted a clientâ€™s life or general skills you brought to the agency.
6) Briefly discuss your plans for the future including your career and educational goals. What skills did you develop at your internship that helped prepare you to meet your future goals?