Physiological Psychology Celebration of learning
For each question – provide an answer and then EXPLAIN WHY?
Use the course vocabulary to explain the reason your answer is correct.
- Why do the effects of certain transmitters, such as serotonin, vary from one synapse to another?
- Studies of people with dyslexia support this generalization:
- The hypothalamus is most directly related to:
- Olfactory receptors carry their message to the:
- Mammals have circadian rhythms:
- The basic building blocks for the majority of neurotransmitters are:
- Vision is to retina as hearing is to:
- What will cause a muscle to relax?
- A Golgi tendon organ responds to:
- Several studies examined people who were deprived of REM sleep for a few days and then permitted to sleep without disturbance. The resulting sleep patterns of those people suggest that the need for REM sleep is to a large degree:
- Communication in the nervous system is best described as ____ within neurons, and ____ between neurons.
- Which lobe contains the primary motor cortex and the prefrontal cortex?
- Across species, it appears that the sense organs are most attuned to:
- Because infants move their trunk muscles much more adeptly than their peripheral muscles, we can infer that the ____ is slow to mature.
- Classical conditioning is to ____, as operant conditioning is to ____.
- The cingulate cortex, amygdala, and hypothalamus are traditionally linked to:
- Which would be especially important when running up a flight of stairs at full speed?
- Reorganization of connections in the somatosensory cortex is responsible for the phenomenon of
- The brain finds out about the degree of stretch of the stomach from:
- In order to elicit movement, the motor cortex:
- A major difference between hormones and neurotransmitters is that
- Foveal vision has
- The neurotransmitter GABA exerts ____ effects, and its effects are almost always ____.
- If you wanted to find an area of the nervous system that is responsible for excessive anxieties and fears, where should you concentrate your research?
- What neurotransmitter is released by axons that carry pain information to the brain?