Option #1: A Notable Person: Biography in Essay
For the final Portfolio Project, option #1, write a paper about a person in a period of United States history from exploration to 1877, and explain a challenge the person faced, what that challenge was, and how the person did or did not overcome the challenge.
- Do not write a complete biography of the personâ€™s life.
- Focus on a challenge faced by the person.
- Describe the historical, social, governmental or personal circumstances of the challenge.
- Explain how the person interacted with the challenge.Â
- Did the person meet the challenge and succeed?
- Did the challenge defeat the person?
- Explain the resolution of the challenge. Was it resolved? Did it continue?
- Does the challenge the person faced continue to challenge American society today? Explain how so or why the challenge no longer exists.
This paper must include a discussion of the following topics:
- a thorough summary of the event including the incidents that took place and the key individuals involved;
- the importance of the event in the scheme of U.S. history; and
- the impact of the event, person, or time in U.S. History.
Simple examples of historical figures and their challenges (do not be limited by this list):
- Christopher Columbus and the challenge of exploration
- Pocahontas and the challenge of Jamestown colony
- Phillis Wheatley and the challenge of being a small female in colonial America
- Abigail Adams and the challenge of the Revolutionary War
- Thomas Jefferson and the challenge of living in a slave society
- Dolly Madison and the challenge of living with a President, James Madison, during a war
- Andrew Jackson and the challenge of Indian removal
- William T. Johnson and the challenge of being a free black in antebellum Mississippi
- James K. Polk and the challenge of the Mexican War
- James Tallmadge and the challenge of the Tallmadge Amendment
- Charles Finney and the challenge of being president of Oberlin College
- John Brown and the challenge of the Kansas-Nebraska Act
- A Civil War soldier (North or South) and the challenge of the Civil War
- A freedmen (male or female) and the challenge of Reconstruction