I’m working on a writing discussion question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
This is a 2 part assignment. The 1st part is to read the material and then write the initial discussion post. The 2nd part is to write a short reply to 3 classmates posts. Once the initial post is completed I will post here 3 other classmates posts for you to write a short reply to. The initial post must be at least 200 words. The replies must be at least 100 words.Â
** THE INITIAL POST MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 24 HOURS **
The reading material chapters 7, 8 and 9. If you don’t have access to the book let me know and I will provide you with my credentials to sign in to the digital book.Â
In this discussion, students will demonstrate an understanding of the causes of juvenile delinquency, as well as the relationship between such factors as family and peers to delinquent offending, by applying these concepts to a case study.
Steve, age 16, lives in a single-parent home. His mom works two jobs to provide for Steve and his siblings. Steve often looks after his siblings when his mom isnâ€™t home as they live in a high-crime area. While Steve enjoys sports at school, he doesnâ€™t see the point of academics and regularly skips school. Steve has a few older friends at school who he hangs out with, and who are constantly getting into trouble. At the age of 14, Steve got involved with the gang his older friends were part of. As a member of that gang, Steve has started using marijuana regularly and has recently been charged with battery and resisting arrest.
Craft an initial post thoroughly and specifically addressing the following elements:
Consider the factors associated with delinquency, such as family (discussed in Chapter 8) and peers (discussed in Chapter 9).
In general, how can family contribute to juvenile delinquency? Specifically identify and incorporate terms and concepts from the Chapter 8 textbook readings on family influences on juveniles and delinquency in your response.
In general, how can peers contribute to juvenile delinquency? Specifically identify and incorporate terms and concepts from the Chapter 9 textbook readings on family influences on juveniles and delinquency in your response.
Considering Steve’s situation:
- Identify at least one family influence on delinquency that could be relevant to Steve. Use evidence from the short case study above and the Chapter 8 textbook readings to support your response.
Identify at least one peer influence on delinquency that could be relevant to Steve. Use evidence from the short case study above and the Chapter 9 textbook readings to support your response.
- Chapter 9 in your text discusses reasons why youths join gangs.
- Identify and briefly discuss at least two reasons why youths join gangs.
- Which of the perspectives on why youths join gangs, as discussed in Chapter 9, would you apply to Steve’s case? Use evidence from the short case study above and the Chapter 9 textbook readings to support your discussion.
Consider the policy implications related to families and gangs discussed in Chapters 8 and 9 of your textbook.
- What could be done to help Steve and steer him away from the gang life? Discuss.
- Identify and discuss at least one specific policy from the Chapter 8 or 9 textbook readings and provide specific evidence from the case study and the textbook readings to support your discussion.
- Consider the Module 4 readings and resources. Develop one discussion question relevant to a topic you found interesting from the Module 4 readings and resources. Your discussion question should further the discussion on the module materials (i.e. it should not be able to be answered with a simple “yes” or “no”).