This assignment will examine how educational policy is implemented by local school districts. Even if your career is in higher education, your residence is in a local school district, your property taxes support that district, and, if you or local family members have children or grandchildren, those children may attend that district. We will discuss educational policy from the perspective of the local school district. We wonâ€™t be discussing unique board policies such as dress codes, suspensions, or school start times. We will discuss overarching federal and state policies and how the local district works within those policies.
Using your resources for the week and their focus on the Common Core State Standards (particularly in one of the nationâ€™s most diverse and populous states), you will analyze the implementation of components of the Common Core State Standards in California. Create a PPT or other presenentation in which you will address the following:
- What challenges do local school districts face in implementing federal policy?
- How do leaders deal with these challenges?
- Describe how Californiaâ€™s challenges might be similar to or different than your state. If you live in California, describe your viewpoint as a California resident.
- How would you lead as a district leader under these circumstances? What type of skills do you think you would need?
- What solutions do you propose to help local district leaders navigate through the implementation of federal policy?
Length: 10-12 slides not including a reference slide; 100-120 words in the notes section for each slide
Resources: Support your presentation with at least 2-4 scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources may be included.
Your assignment should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.