Source of Competitive Advantage
This team assignment is meant to provide experience with real-world applicability in working in teams.
The â€œSources of Competitive Advantageâ€ image above shows the focus of competitive advantage for seven companies:
- Toyota focuses on quality as its competitive advantage.
- IBM focuses on service as its competitive advantage.
- Wal-Mart focuses on low cost as its competitive advantage.
- Coca-Cola focuses on its proprietary products as its competitive advantage.
- Apple focuses on innovation as its competitive advantage.
- Nike focuses on brand recognition as its competitive advantage.
- Nintendo focuses on value as its competitive advantage.
You will develop a five-slide PowerPoint (not including title and references slides) that analyzes the sources of competitive advantage for your chosen organization. Your analysis content will be as specified in the chart below. Include citations to support your points throughout the presentation.
- Slide 1: Include title of the PowerPoint, course name and number, instructorâ€™s name, date submitted, and names of team members.
- Slide 2: select a company from the list of organizations listed above that integrates information systems to support its business strategies. Describe the business mission and goals of your chosen organization.
- Slide(s) 3-4: describe how information systems create competitive advantages for your chosen organization. Analyze and identify the types and functions of systems used in the organization.
- Slide 5: What different types of data make up â€œbig dataâ€ for your chosen company? Describe the big data (what it is and how it is used). Big is a term that describes extremely large data sets that may be analyzed computationally to reveal patterns, trends, and associations. Examples of big data may include data in a companyâ€™s customer service department used to solve customer problems or a companyâ€™s use of stock market or competitive intelligence data to predict the future (Hint: You can find examples of big data used by the organization by reviewing data reports on the â€œInvestorsâ€ or â€œOur Investorsâ€ tab of the organizationâ€™s website). Justify your answers.
- Slide 6: Conclusion
- Slide 7: Reference list
The Source of Competitive Advantage Assignment
- Must have a minimum of five slides inclusive of speaker notes on each slide (not including title and references slides) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of team PowerPoint
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center.