Learning Goal: I’m working on a film writing question and need a sample draft to help me learn
Cinema 7B Film Analysis Assignment #1Begin by reading Chapter 10
1. Rent and view the Guillermo del Toro Film The Shape of Water (2017) You should view the film at
least twice. Take notes as you go and pause and replay scenes that you
donâ€™t understand or that you find particularly interesting.
2. Write a paper which answers the questions below.
a. For minimum credit answer all the questions below. Be sure to
number your answers if you choose not to write in MLA Essay style
b. More complete answers will receive higher scores.
3. Papers must be type written and double-spaced. Please submit papers to the
turnitin.com link on the Assignments page. Length: Five to Seven pages.
1. What is the true subject or theme of the film, and what kind of
statement, if any, does the film make about the subject? Which
elements and which scenes contribute most to addressing the theme of
2. How do all of the separate elements of the film relate to and contribute
to the theme, central purpose, or total effect?
a. Narrative â€“ The manner in which the story is told. What is the
plot structure? Is it chronological or non-linear? Are there
flashbacks or other narrative devices and why are they used?
b. Acting â€“ the qualities of the performances. Is the acting realistic
or is it mannered and formal? Are the characters dynamic (do
they change as the film progresses)? How?
c. Cinematography â€“ The qualities of the photography and lighting.
Identify specific scenes and camera shots that you thought were
d. Editing â€“ The pace and tempo, the use of transitions and the
organization of the narrative. Identify any editing technique you
thought was particularly interesting
e. Art Direction and Design â€“ Locations, sets, effects, props,
costumes and make-up.
3. What scenes in the film show the directorâ€™s style and how do they show
4. What were your personal reactions to the film? What are your personal
reasons for liking or disliking the film?