Paraeducator Case Scenario
Special education teachers are placed in the position of coaching and supervising paraeducators, often with little direction from school administration. For many teachers, this is an unexpected and challenging part of the job. As a special education teacher, it is important to consider the responsibilities and expectations of your paraeducators while working collaboratively to meet the needs of all students.
In this assignment, a classroom scenario will allow you to practice your ability to foster collaboration between a classroom teacher and an assisting paraeducator. Begin by reading the scenario below.
Ms. Nesser is a first-year special education teacher working in an inclusive classroom of 30 students. Four of her students have learning disabilities and two have emotional disabilities. She is very excited about her placement and is even more excited that there is a paraeducator assigned to her classroom. The paraeducator, Ms. Taylor, has been working for the district for over 10 years and is approximately 25 years older than Ms. Nesser. In their first interaction, Ms. Nesser felt Ms. Taylor was not taking her seriously and seemed to disregard any suggestions she had about organizing the classroom, making comments like, â€œOh, that never works!” and â€œThatâ€™s cute that you think the kids are going to listen!â€
Based on the scenario, devise a plan for Ms. Nesser to address the situation with Ms. Taylor that fosters collaboration and creates a safe, inclusive, positive learning environment. Describe your plans for Ms. Nesser in a 1,000-1,250 word narrative that includes the following:
- Goals for collaboration
- Roles and responsibilities of the teacher
- Roles and responsibilities of the paraeducator
- How communication will be conducted
- How supervision of the paraeducator will be handled
- How conflicts will be resolved
- Rationalize how your plan is designed to meet the collaboration goals you outlined, as well as how it engages and promotes the well-being of the students and creates a safe, inclusive, and positive learning environment.