Below are links to scenes from three films: Hot Fuzz, Spectre, and Roma. View all of the scenes to get a sense for different ways continuity, montage, linkage, and collilsion can be used to create rhythm. Refer back to the reading of Chapter 9, “Style” and the “Continuity/Montage and Linkage/Collision” written lecture from this week to aid in your understanding. After viewing all of the scenes, choose just one to analyze for this discussion and answer prompts a, b, c, and d below. While viewing the scene you have chosen to analyze, be sure to take notes to document whether you are observing mostly continuity or montage and linkage or collision, and which film techniques have been used to achieve the result.
- Film Name/Scene Name: List the film and scene name you have chosen to analyze for this discussion.
- Continuity/Montage Analysis: Describe how continuity and/or montage are used in the scene. Be specific in describing the film techniques used to implement continuity editing and/or montage. Cite time codes for at least two examples. The scene’s position along the spectrum may fluctuate throughout the scene, so be sure to include descriptions for both as needed. Finally, state whether you believe the scene is predominantly continuity or montage (choose only one).
- Linkage/Collision Analysis: Describe how linkage and/or collision are used in the scene. Be specific in describing the film technqiues used to implement linkage and/or collision. Cite time codes for at least two examples. The scene’s position along the spectrum may fluctuate throughout the scene, so be sure to include descriptions for both as needed. Finally, state whether you believe the scene is predominantly linkage or collision (choose only one).
- Quadrant: Within which quadrant do you believe the scene should be positioned? Use this diagram of the quadrants from the Case Study to help you position your film: Case Study Quadrants. For instance, the case study placed Apocalypse Now in the Montage/Linkage Quadrant.
Links to films and scenes:
- Opening Scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tMKqQPQcks