Module 5 Discussion Board
NOTE: The purpose of this discussion board is to investigate and better understand clinical or health issues related to Bio169.
While your personal, cultural or religious beliefs may play a role in which side of the argument you pick, please remember that in this EDUCATIONAL SETTING we will:
- Avoid judgmental opinions/ comments
- Stick to scientific facts backed by cited research
- and of course
- Always just be plain â€œoleâ€ nice!
If youâ€™d really like to challenge yourself, choose a side that is opposite to your initial beliefs.
Part 1: Initial Post (80 points)
Imagine that you are an emergency room doctor. One evening, a patient comes in who has attempted suicide. You learn that this patient is terminally ill and has do-not-resuscitate (DNR) orders. As you begin to treat the patient, they stop breathing. You must choose one of the following: 1) try to resuscitate the patient or 2) abide the patientâ€™s DNR order. Before choosing your answer, research both options from a doctorâ€™s perspective â€“ there is a reason why this is considered an ethical issue. In your post, include the following:
- Explain what terminally ill means and give an example of a terminal illness (donâ€™t just state the illness â€“ be sure to explain what it is and how the body is affected).
- Explain the ethical dilemma that this scenario presents.
- State your decision. Include at least 3 reasons as to why you chose this.
- You must include at least 3 reputable scientific sources. Reputable sources= peer reviewed scientific journal articles, accredited websites, or books. Google, Wikipedia, etc. are not acceptable sources. Remember that you can use FTCCâ€™s library website (opens in new window) to facilitate your search. Be sure to include in-text citations and properly cite the sources (MLA or APA format) at the end of your initial post.