Assignment: Institutional Review Board Application
As mentioned in Week 2, the Institutional Review
Board (IRB) at Walden University and at other institutions, is the
entity that approves and reviews all medical and behavioral research
involving humans. IRBs are required in the United States by the federal
government to ensure the ethical treatment of experiment subjects. The
history of research ethics, in the United States and abroad, is marred
by instances of researchers acting unethically (e.g., the Tuskegee
syphilis experiment); thus, protections are now in place to protect
participants from harm.
For your dissertation research, you will be
required to gain approval through the Walden IRB. In an effort to
familiarize you with the IRB application and process, you are asked to
complete the IRB application for the research study you are proposing
for your Final Project and submit it to your Instructor (not to the
The Assignment (5- to 7-page paper):
- Complete the Walden IRB Application for your Survey Research
Proposal. The IRB Application is located in this weekâ€™s Learning
Resources. (Note: Entire form must be completed).
- Submit the completed form to the Instructor by Day 7 (not to the IRB).
Support your Assignment with specific
references to all resources used in its preparation. You are to provide a
reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning
Resources for this course.
By Day 7
Submit your Assignment by Day 7.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention â€œWK9Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)â€ as the name.
- Click the Week 9 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 9 Assignment link. You will also be able to â€œView Rubricâ€ for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as â€œWK9Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)â€ and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.