Consider one of your last interactions with a service user. As you collaborated to find a resource or solution, did you choose the first one that came to mind? Probably not! In your work as a human services professional practitioner, you likely find yourself considering many options and revising plans throughout your working relationships with service users. Work as a researcher is similar; you can draft many research questions before choosing the right one. In this Discussion, you will be able to practice writing a research question based on a topic and informed by a theory.
- Review the Learning Resources and Course Announcement.
- Access the Sample Mind Map, which is the same mind map you used in Weeks 5 and 6.
- Review the Week 6 Discussion forum, where you reflected on the connections in the Sample Mind Map.
- Consider what research questions could be drafted based on the mind map and informed by one of the theories in the Carousel of Theories interactive or in the library. Do not use a peer-constructed theory from the Week 6 Discussion.
- Note that Discussions in the doctoral-level Human Services programs are areas for sharing ideas, reflecting on current research, and building community. Therefore, your grade, and the evaluation of your Discussion, will be based on the content and quality of your ideas. Note that APA style citations, references, and standard punctuation will not be assessed or graded. As a human services professional and doctoral student, you should always maintain a professional and academic tone. Please focus on shaping your ideas and supporting your claims with examples and research when applicable. However, every course has its own standards and requirements, so it is important to always check those requirements for each course and each assignment.
- Respond to all bullet points in the prompt.
By Day 4
Write a 200- to 300-word initial post:
- Present a research question based on the Sample Mind Map concepts and connections.
- Identify the theory you used to help construct and ground the research question.
- Explain how the chosen theory informed the creation of your research question