Assignment #1- Design Your Own Toy
Your task is to design an original toy suitable for a 2â€“6-year-old child, keeping in mind the physical, social, cognitive, and safety needs of preschool children. You will create a prototype of your design and submit a Flipgrid video (up to 10 minutes) explaining your toy, along with the written component (the answers to the five questions in the handout). You can earn additional points (+5) by including in your Flipgrid video a child playing with the toy.
You will click on the following handout for the prompts for this assignment. You can either write neatly on the handout and scan and upload, or you can re-type the questions into either a Word document or in the text box in Canvas. You will do this on this next page, titled “Assignment #1B: Designing a Toy Written Portion Submission”.
Designing a Toy handout
Here are some examples of toys designed by my face-to-face CD 02 class:
- Verbal/Written Portion: You can earn up to four (+4) points for each question (=20 points)
- In your Flipgrid video (you will have up to 10 minutes to record), you much answer each of the five questions in your Design a Toy handout. Each response should address all aspects of the prompt with detail and in complete sentences. You will be uploading/submitting your responses from the handout. You will do this on this next page, titled “Assignment #1B: Designing a Toy Written Portion Submission”.
- The toy idea should be an original idea and not currently available. The toy idea should be an original idea and not currently available. You will have no more than 10 minutes to record your video, but you shouldn’t need that much time. I’m estimating about 5 minutes to share your design would be about the average time needed.
- Toy Design: You can earn up to 20 points for your original toy design. You design should:
- Be clearly displayed in a Flipgrid video
- Be developmentally appropriate (be sure to explain this in your Flipgrid video)
- Be an original design and not currently available
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation
- Be neat and show effort
- Peer Response: You should submit a video response to two peers (so two videos total). Each video response is worth 5 points (=10 points). You peer response videos should:
- Share two things that you liked/appreciated/noticed about their toy design